IIT Hyderabad refining the future of fabrication at Central Workshop on Campus
- Campus Updates
- 01 Aug, 2022
Central Workshop is the first fabrication facility set up at IIT Hyderabad (IITH) in 2009. Over the year, it has developed & enhanced its capability by acquiring no. of sophisticated machines with very specific purposes in mind. The primary objective of the Central Workshop is to provide hands-on training to the students, be it IITH Students or technocrats from the nearby institutes. Recently IITH has conducted a skill development workshop for 57 ITI students from Patancheru & Sangareddy in 4 batches in May & June with the aim to strengthen their skills in conventional Machining and give them an introduction to the modern CNC machinery.
Proudly presenting the facility as one more step towards achieving ‘Aatma Nirbhar Bharat, Prof B S Murty, Director, IITH, expressed, “IITH, with full determination, is focused towards ensuring its every step serves humankind in better & get closer to the motto of Inventing & Innovating in Technology for Humanity. Central Workshop is one unique platform at IITH that is not only aiding engineering excellence but also encouraging the learning & development of the talents surrounding IITH. We will ensure IITH is not only known globally for its research but also as a Centre of Excellence for Skill Development.”
Briefing about the facility Dr Karri Badarinath, Faculty-in-Charge, Central Workshop, mentioned, “The facility has been used extensively for research-related fabrication work by Faculty, Students & Startups at IITH. IITH has a very vibrant Startup culture, and many of these startups use this facility to fabricate & test their products utilizing the expertise IITH has obtained over the decade.”
In addition to supporting the department & campus by making sanitizer stand during the pandemic, Central Workshop has supported many high-tech fabrications for Maruti Suzuki V2X Projects, TiHAN, and Startups like Germsafe, Crystal Ball, and Manali Swings, to name a few.
Facilities at the Central Workshop include the following state-of-the-art equipment along with an Electrical & Electronics Shop comprising signal generators, voltage/ current sources, and a Fitting shop comprising bench vices, pedestal drilling machines, tapping machines, and wheel grinder machines will complete sets of tools and accessories:
- 5 Axis Machine (Make BFW with SINUMERIK 840DSL controller).
- Vertical Machining Center (Make BFW with SINUERIK 828 Controller). The machine was donated by M/s Sai Deepa Rock Drills, Hyderabad, under their CSR funding initiative and was installed in Jan 2022.
- CNC Lathe (Make HMT Praga with FANUC Oi Mate controller)
- Heavy Duty Lathe (Make HMT).
- Universal Milling Machine (Make BFW).
- Laser Cutting and Engraving Machine.
- TIG/ MIG/ Gas/ Arc Welding.
- Plasma Cutting Machine (Make: Ador Fontech/Hypertherm).
- Injection Moulding Machine (Make: Ferromatik Milacron).
- Radial Drilling Machine (Make: HMT).
- Surface and cylindrical Grinding Machines.
- Light Duty Lathes (15 nos).
- Power Band Saw.