Student kills classmate at Shiv Nadar University, dies by suicide later

Student kills classmate at Shiv Nadar University, dies by suicide later

A 21-year-old student of Shiv Nadar University was shot dead, allegedly by her classmate who later shot himself, inside the university campus in Greater Noida on Thursday afternoon, police said.

The woman has been identified as Sneha Chaurasiya, and the man as Anuj Singh. Both were B.A.(Sociology) students, in their final year. While Sneha was from Kanpur, Anuj’s family lives in Amroha.

Police said they received a call from the university at 1.30-2 pm about a firing incident. “We received information that a student, named Anuj, had fired at his classmate outside the dining hall on the campus,” said a senior police officer.

According to police, after shooting Sneha, Anuj went to his hostel room and shot himself. A country-made pistol was reportedly recovered from his room. Police said they were still investigating the source of the weapon.

Late at night, police said that Anuj purportedly sent a video clip to the university authorities at around 1.20 pm, in which he said that he was in a relationship with Sneha but they were no longer together. In the 22-minute video, he said he was “broken inside” and “could not trust anyone”. He also said that he had been “diagnosed with third stage brain cancer” but had not told his parents. He spoke about punishing the woman and sought the forgiveness of his and her parents.

Police have recovered CCTV footage which shows the two students talking outside the dining hall. Anuj is seen holding a bag, from which he later pulls out a pistol and fires at Sneha. She tries to resist but is shot again and collapses. Police said Sneha was shot at least twice – in the chest and abdomen – and died on the spot.

“They were friends, students often saw them talking to each other. The two first had a conversation, and the accused later pulled out a pistol and fired at the woman,” said the officer, adding that the woman was taken to a private hospital, where she was declared dead.

“The two students were good friends but got into some dispute recently. We have informed their families, and police teams have secured the campus. We are questioning their classmates and teachers,” said DCP (Greater Noida) Saad Miya Khan.

While the college is shut for summer break, some students have reportedly stayed back for the convocation. “The convocation is scheduled to be held on May 26. Many students who will graduate this year have stayed back. The two students had met outside the hostel dining hall, which was shut, on Thursday afternoon. No one else was in the vicinity at the time. The police have recovered the CCTV footage and are analysing it,” said a university official.

He added that students are not frisked when entering the university.

In a statement, the university said: “We are deeply saddened and pained at the unfortunate loss of lives of two students at the university today. The matter is currently under investigation by the authorities, and we are closely monitoring the situation. All other residents of the campus are safe. Our utmost priority is the safety and well-being of our students, employees, and the entire community. We are fully cooperating with the authorities in their investigation. Our deep and heartfelt condolences go out to the affected families and we are supporting them in every way possible at this difficult time.”