India’s First Forest University to be Established in Telangana
- 17 Sep, 2022
India is going to have its first Forest University. The Forestry Universities (UoF) Act 2022 was approved by the Telangana Assembly. The University of Forestry (UoF), will be the first of its kind in India. Globally, it will be the third University of Forestry after Russia and China. The Telangana government has decided to expand the Forestry College and Research Institute (FCRI) in Hyderabad. The FCRI will be turned into a full-fledged University.
When FCRI gets upgraded into a university, additional 18 programs including Ph.D., Diploma, and certificate courses in Urban Forestry, nursery management, agro-forestry, tribal livelihood enhancement, forest entrepreneurship, climate-smart forestry, and forest park management are planned to be launched.
First Forest University in India: Aims
- The University will also network and partner with similar institutions to create synergies in learning.
- The University will promote action research by providing comprehensive training to farmers.
- The objectives of the University will be to produce quality forestry professionals for conservation and sustainable management of forest resources and to promote research and develop appropriate methods for propagation of plantation crops to meet the demand of industries.
- The University will also work to develop agro-forestry models suitable for various agroecological conditions in addition to traditional forestry operations to reduce pressure on natural forests, and economic upliftment of farming communities.
- Telangana Government has planted 268.83 crore saplings under the flagship program ‘Telangana Ku Haritha Haram”.